What are some tips for daily oral care? The best way to remove decay-causing plaque is by brushing and cleaning between your teeth every day. Brushing removes plaque from the tooth surfaces.
Brush your teeth twice a day, with a soft-bristled brush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth, allowing you to reach all areas easily. Electric toothbrushes cover more area of your teeth quicker and can more thoroughly clean your teeth–such as using a SoniCare toothbrush. For toothpaste, use a toothpaste that contains fluoride, which helps protect your teeth from decay.
Cleaning between the teeth once a day with floss or interdental cleaners removes plaque from between the teeth, areas where the toothbrush can’t reach. It is essential in preventing gum disease.
By taking care of your teeth, eating a balanced diet and visiting the dentist regularly, you can have healthy teeth and an attractive smile your entire life.
How do I brush my teeth?
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against the gums.
- Move the brush back and forth gently in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer tooth surfaces, the inner tooth surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- Use the “toe” of the brush to clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, using a gentle up-and-down stroke.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.